Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: My surprise Q & A with Paul Gower!
PostPosted: July 28th, 2010, 10:10 am 
Iron Member

RS Name: Uhfolks
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Lolclanlol
Hey guys, after the treasure trail update was delayed, due to graphical reasons, the Runescape forums blew up as usual when something goes wrong. I was extremely unhappy myself, as this is the first update I have ever truly looked forward to in the entire time I've played Runescape. I made a comment along the lines of "Any second grader could figure out that the best plan would be to release the promised treasure trail update & delay the unwanted graphics update. The players don't appreciate being lied to in the BTS about an update coming out that month, then being pused to another month." in the sticky. Here's the response I got back in a series of PMs:

Paul: You know any second grader should be able to read the forum post he is replying to and realise that we specifically said that seperating the graphical update from the treasure trails is also not doable this week. And I don't know what lies you think we're telling- do you think that the trails are really releasable immediately and we're not doing so just to spite you.

Me: Wow, thanks for the response, pretty suprising! I realise I probably came off as a bit (Ok, a lot) harsh, but it's just in promising an update of that scale that the players have been looking forward to for years, then delaying due to a graphics update was rather irritating.

Paul: Yw- believe me, we don't want to delay any updates-that's partially actually that's entirely why we scrapped behind the scenes for awhile cos delays do happen.

Me: I can see how that could be a double-edged sword., it's nice to know what to expect that month, but when it doesn't happen, it is more annoying to the players (me at least) when the update doesn't come.

Paul: And indirectly users do want this graphical update because it's due to this lack of zbiasing that we've had to release a lot of unpopular graphical fixes to stop clipping which invariable causes rants (I can't make out what this next message said, I took a screenshot of only the top half :|) What we expect to release this month but we do from time to time get unforseen delays which mean some things may not happen.

Me: Well that's just come to be expected from any update now unfortunately. Nothing can satisfy everyone.

Paul: I know :(

Me: I'm just curious as to why the graphics update delayed the treasure trail one, was it graphics with the treasure trail items? Or was it an unrelated matter?

Paul: Well I'm not entirely sure- but there's two common reasons for such things- most likely is that when the engine update was written graphics artists started making their new graphics dependant on it so possibly some of the new treasure trail items relied on it. Or it could just be that everything all got piled into one release version and extracting one update without the other will take some time- plus need a bunch more retesting to see if we've done it properly.

Me: So it sounds like it would just make more sense to err on the side of caution and just release it all together?

Paul: Well yep it's probably as quick to fix the issue as it is to build a different release version and fully test it.

Me: Ah, that makes sense. Are you planning on updating your older engines soon, to where all will be running on the same software? As far as snazzy goes though, I just got HD to work for the first time on my computer w/o serious lag issues, it looks great!

Paul: I think to an extent we have to have different people running on different things cos we're trying to make the game as snazzy as possible based on your specific computer specs.

Uhfolks: Well anyways, thanks for the response! Glad to know what's going on. I've got to head off, good luck getting everything pulled together hopefully soon :)

Paul: Thanks :)

~`~

This is 99.9% unedited, I only did things such as added in puncuation and combined messages together. This was done entirely in private messages, so it had very little punctuation in the actual dialouge. I decided to post it on here instead of the Runescape forums or other fansites because I just love this community & the podcast! Hope you enjoyed reading this!

P.S. I have attached the screenshot of the first part of the conversation to prove I'm just not completely making this up. I didn't want to post it ALL on here though, because it would make for a ton of pictures, which would take forever to load.
Attachment:
Paul Quote.JPG

Last edited by Uhfolks on July 29th, 2010, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: July 28th, 2010, 10:10 am 
Iron Member

Post subject: Re: My surprise Q & A with Mod Paul!
PostPosted: July 28th, 2010, 10:19 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Magicking
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Some people have all the luck! Really nice unexpected Q&A, although I'm trying to remember the last time Paul himself actually responded to one of the rants. Who knows, you might be able to keep talking to him and get the heads-up on updates before anyone else. ;)

PostPosted: July 28th, 2010, 12:51 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: mike12088
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
That is really surprising he'd respond like that. Thanks for posting that here.

You could post all the screenshots if you wanted, the thumbails are quite small in file size.

I really think they should just stop doing BTS again. Issues come up with software development that aren't always expected, but a majority of the RS population don't understand that and just want the content now!

Of course Jagex could rectify this by being less specific when updates are coming out, but I think they should just be discontinued altogether because of the way they effect the market. The news of something new affects the market more than what the actual update does because people aren't sure how good the new items will be.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2010, 12:56 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: StarMilgauss
Wow, thats so cool they actually care, to respnd!

PostPosted: July 28th, 2010, 2:14 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Brad7443
Nice to know they still have time to respond and interact with their users.

Nothing worse than companies sitting in their Ivory Towers and shunning any kind of user interaction. Although I still don't think Jagex do it enough.

Co-host of RSBANDB!Update: 2006-2010
Biggest thorn in Shane's side: 2005-2010

Don't despair because it's over. Smile because it happened.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2010, 12:54 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
Brad wrote:
Nice to know they still have time to respond and interact with their users.

Nothing worse than companies sitting in their Ivory Towers and shunning any kind of user interaction. Although I still don't think Jagex do it enough.

I've only seen a Jmod once, well a group of them. So I completely agree that jagex needs to spend more time interacting with the community.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: July 30th, 2010, 12:54 am 
Runite Member

Post subject: Re: My surprise Q & A with Paul Gower!
PostPosted: July 31st, 2010, 10:12 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: GB Icytouch
Clan Name: GameBattles
That's awesome to see that Jagex is actually talking and listening to the users. Excellent job folks.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2010, 10:30 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
RS Status: F2P
I've seen screenshots/stories of Paul doing this kind of thing before, though. So I wouldn't really say that "Jagex" themselves are doing this.

But I guess it is better than Mod Hohbein's "What we are doing is 100% flawless and the best, any posts suggesting otherwise will be hidden" policy.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2010, 5:58 am 
Iron Member

RS Name: Uhfolks
Clan Name: Lolclanlol
Warren wrote:
I've seen screenshots/stories of Paul doing this kind of thing before, though. So I wouldn't really say that "Jagex" themselves are doing this.

But I guess it is better than Mod Hohbein's "What we are doing is 100% flawless and the best, any posts suggesting otherwise will be hidden" policy.

Haha, I definately agree. This is much better than, "We're perfect, get over it." Though what you said about Jagex not doing this, is like getting a personal call from Steve Jobs about your broken Ipod & saying Apple isn't providing good customer service.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2010, 10:57 am 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
While it's great that he responded, it's kind of telling that he did so after you ***** him off. Your language in the first post was fairly lower-level gradeschool, just ranting and trying to pass blame. Once you and he start talking, levelheadedness takes over and the conversation is much more civil.

I know it's not a huge point to make, I just wish the levelheadedness can begin at the start instead of after getting talked to by one of the creators of the game.

Glad you got the impromptu interview :)

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2010, 4:53 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
So I guess the moral of the story is if you want to get the attention of the staff, call them out in a mildly sharp way and you'll get a response. Perhaps Paul was just getting fed up and your comment probably pushed him over the brink. :D Not saying it's a bad thing, but every human has that urge to respond to a charge like yours and explain the whole situation. And again, these guys put in a lot of work I'm sure and try to do the best they can...most the time, hopefully, if not all the time. Try to give them a break. They want the game to be just as enjoyable for you as for everybody else. As you pointed out, you can't please everyone, but you can do your pest to please as many as you can with the right content in a timely fashion. I'm sure Paul will remember you and I hope you and everyone else who read the conversation can hear what I'm saying and try to be thankful for the great staff that works on this game. d=(^_^)z

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: August 4th, 2010, 1:15 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Southrend
RS Status: Classic
I quite agree with Mike. The reason they removed the (last version of) BTS was because of these things. I think they should go back to their first system. You would only get a BTS once every half year or so, telling what they're going to do in the future. Just their plans, no dates was so ever.

Of course there are some problems with that one too. Some of the ideas just don't make it to the game. Anyone remember Wilderness Tag for example?

Proud RSB&B Member #570 since 12/27/04
Proud RSB&B Mod since 7/24/05