Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Sandbox
PostPosted: August 16th, 2008, 2:34 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Kangas Khan
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: MaSoRs
I'd just like to say one thing, because it irritates the **** out of me. I'm sick and tired of you people deciding what's best for everyone else without asking or discussing it first. The sandbox was very rarely used by moderators, site owners and admins, it was used by the regular member to have "fun". Flame baiting, spamming or whatever, I think it would have been only fair to ask what everyone else thought first. Regardless of the outcome, it would have been a lot less selfish (because removing it like this is) and would have gotten a much better response.

I'm tired of the way things get carried out here.

That's all I'm saying.

... except that I know what response I'll get, "u dunt like it den leve. are site not urs. we do wot wii wont".

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: August 16th, 2008, 2:34 am 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: August 16th, 2008, 3:50 am 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
First off you are entitled to your opinion and I understand where you are coming from.

Anubis wrote:
I'd just like to say one thing, because it irritates the **** out of me. I'm sick and tired of you people deciding what's best for everyone else without asking or discussing it first.

If we were to debate our decisions with the entire forum population it wouldn't work. Nothing would get done around because we'd have to keep the topic going for ages to ensure everyone got their opinion/decision heard. Sad to say but large communities can't run as a democracy.

Anubis wrote:
Flame baiting, spamming or whatever, I think it would have been only fair to ask what everyone else thought first. Regardless of the outcome, it would have been a lot less selfish (because removing it like this is) and would have gotten a much better response.

We felt this was something that had to be done because the sandbox had already turned a few members away and made long standing members leave. It had to be done on the larger scope of things. It's not that we're lazy and can't police the sandbox, it's that it dramatically affects that atmosphere of the forums. I have the utmost respect for the mod team and how they carry out their duties. So my point here is that it wasn't a selfish action to make the load easier on us.

Finally I'd like to re-iterate that this wasn't a decision that we made overnight.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2008, 5:42 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Brad7443
Anubis wrote:
I'd just like to say one thing, because it irritates the **** out of me. I'm sick and tired of you people deciding what's best for everyone else without asking or discussing it first. The sandbox was very rarely used by moderators, site owners and admins, it was used by the regular member to have "fun". Flame baiting, spamming or whatever, I think it would have been only fair to ask what everyone else thought first. Regardless of the outcome, it would have been a lot less selfish (because removing it like this is) and would have gotten a much better response.

I'm tired of the way things get carried out here.

That's all I'm saying.

... except that I know what response I'll get, "u dunt like it den leve. are site not urs. we do wot wii wont".

The job of Mike and Shane and the staff is to decide what's best for the community. We're not here to satisfy the wants and needs of every individual, but to do what is best for the community as a whole. The sandbox was a degrading influence on the community and a haven for bullying and flaming. Hell, I'd say the overwhelming majority of warnings we gave out were for things done in the sandbox. It's been a problem for a long long time now. This isn't just something we've come to realize overnight.

I'm not sure either what you mean about if we'd asked the general community population first we'd have gotten 'a better response'. Read the previous posts, most people seem to accept that removing the sandbox was for the greater good and aren't that peeved about it. Plus it seems to me and other members of staff I've discussed this with that removing the sandbox has so far had a positive impact on the rest of the forums, activity in other areas that promote sensible discussion have picked up because people are no longer just going to the sandbox to spam meaningless crap. I feel our decision has already been vindicated.

But lets look at this from your perspective. Had we given the community a 'vote' on whether to keep the sandbox I can probably say the the majority would have voted to keep it. Whether or not they thought it might be better for the community if it was gone. I don't think many people here would have approached that question with 'whats better for the community?' in their minds. And that is one of the many reasons we'd never put that sort of decision to a general vote, we're here to do what is best for the community as a whole, not the individual.

We've done what we thought was best, and from the early signs I think we've been proven correct.

Co-host of RSBANDB!Update: 2006-2010
Biggest thorn in Shane's side: 2005-2010

Don't despair because it's over. Smile because it happened.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2008, 7:44 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: JessePinkman
Clan Name: The Cafe
I never liked the sandbox, and I never really posted in it. Nicely done. =D>

Besides, there was this one guy (forgot his username), that kept spamming in the sandbox and saying stuff like "-1", or just posting nothing at all. [-X

ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage

653rd to 120 Divination
550th to 200m Divination

PostPosted: August 16th, 2008, 10:14 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Kill Buddha
RS Status: Old School (2007)
Flash wrote:
I never liked the sandbox, and I never really posted in it. Nicely done. =D>

Besides, there was this one guy (forgot his username), that kept spamming in the sandbox and saying stuff like "-1", or just posting nothing at all. [-X

YOu cant spam teh sandbox

PostPosted: August 16th, 2008, 10:44 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Teh Wabbit1
RS Status: Classic
Clan Name: None
Sad to see the sandbox but I Have an idea:

I was thinking of creating such sub-forum which would be open discussion section, so pretty much any discussion could be done in it but unlike the sandbox this section would have to follow all of the board rules, which I think should be no Spam or Flamebaiting and rest of the forum rules, But Open Discussion where you can discuss almost anything -Like if it something pointless...and Wont fit into Non-Rs Disc or Non-Rs Media.

My $0.02 cents.

68th Dragon member as of November 02, 2007 11:08 PM

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: August 16th, 2008, 10:44 am 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: August 16th, 2008, 12:54 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
Mikhail wrote:

I was thinking of creating such sub-forum which would be open discussion section, so pretty much any discussion could be done in it but unlike the sandbox this section would have to follow all of the board rules, which I think should be no Spam or Flamebaiting and rest of the forum rules, But Open Discussion where you can discuss almost anything -Like if it something pointless...and Wont fit into Non-Rs Disc or Non-Rs Media.

My $0.02 cents.

This was one of our last attempts, move anything that would fit in another area out of the sandbox. That didn't work so I can't see this working. It sounds too much like the original sandbox.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2008, 1:14 pm 
Dragon Member

Location: USA, making other people's locations sound nonsensical us
RS Name: BeastZero
Shane wrote:
Mikhail wrote:

My $0.02 cents.

This was one of our last attempts, move anything that would fit in another area out of the sandbox. That didn't work so I can't see this working. It sounds too much like the original sandbox.

I think that it was simply easier to post things that perhaps didn't have too much discussion value in the Sandbox instead of other forums. Mikhail's idea sounds good; you could give it a try and see how it goes.

bloon wrote:
MY ESTROGEN TAKES OVER AND I AM ALL OOOOOOMG *SCREAMFLEE*

PostPosted: August 16th, 2008, 9:18 pm 
BANNED

Shane wrote:
...the sandbox had already turned a few members away and made long standing members leave.

I'd really like to know who those members were...

It's unbelievable the amount of people who can't handle flaming over the **** internet. People that cry over something said to them in the Sandbox aren't stable enough to even be using a computer, or interacting with any other human being for that matter. It's upsetting that those little babies have to go whine and cry over meaningless **** and get the best part of this whole site closed down.

As for activity picking up in other areas of the forum: I don't think I'd consider six people posting the exact same threads (where to train range/what to wear to train range/yaks or lathas for range/how many chins for range/where to train range with cannon/best range training) an increase in activity. Even a quick scan of recent topics will show you replies just for the post count. The same stupidity and unintelligent posts are present, they're just in the forums you were trying to keep it out of in the first place.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2008, 11:07 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Sevith
Clan Name: RSBandB of course!
Total Plox wrote:
Shane wrote:
...the sandbox had already turned a few members away and made long standing members leave.

I'd really like to know who those members were...

It's unbelievable the amount of people who can't handle flaming over the **** internet. People that cry over something said to them in the Sandbox aren't stable enough to even be using a computer, or interacting with any other human being for that matter. It's upsetting that those little babies have to go whine and cry over meaningless **** and get the best part of this whole site closed down.

As for activity picking up in other areas of the forum: I don't think I'd consider six people posting the exact same threads (where to train range/what to wear to train range/yaks or lathas for range/how many chins for range/where to train range with cannon/best range training) an increase in activity. Even a quick scan of recent topics will show you replies just for the post count. The same stupidity and unintelligent posts are present, they're just in the forums you were trying to keep it out of in the first place.

Some people take EVERYTHING personal, it's just the way they are. Deal with it, like some of us.

And I've seen more activity everywhere, even in myself.

Marty O' Donnell says Howdy :)!

PostPosted: August 17th, 2008, 2:20 am 
Dragon Member

Sev wrote:
Some people take EVERYTHING personal, it's just the way they are. Deal with it, like some of us.

That's not how it should work. You can't make 90% of people here have their stay a lot less entertaining while the remaining 10% take it as an advantage.

10% feeling miserable and 90% feeling not miserable is always better than 90% feeling miserable and 10% feeling not miserable.

You can't treat people like they are 8-years old on a forum which is dedicated for ages 13+. Because that's Jagex, and as we all know, Jagex does things wrong.

I completely agree with Anubis. It should have been a public vote. And as for what Brad mentioned about what is good for community...

Right now, "good for community" seems to be "behaving nicely". Sure, that's partially it. But enjoying is also.

And therefore, if people had just voted for the Sandbox to stay, it means they like having Sandbox and therefore it is good for the community and it makes the community better. Nobody is made to go there. If someone takes every single tiny thing personally, HE DOESN'T HAVE TO GO TO THE SANDBOX. People aren't that prejudical. People aren't that stupid.

And as for "having everyone's vote, because otherwise it wouldn't be accurate"... Well, what? RSBANDB has, what, 50 regular members? If you hold a vote for a week, I'm sure atleast 90% of regulars would come and vote.

The rest whatever 2000 members never post/come/do anything, and therefore it's useless to even consider what may be their opinion. They don't count.

As for people have agreed with this in this topic... Once again: Well, what? As Brad said: "I don't think many people here would have approached that question with 'whats better for the community?' in their minds."

Why, of course they don't think that. They're selfish. They want to increase their own good.

But now the staff comes and says "we feel this is important for the community, and to be honest, you people wouldn't have been able to make the choice." Well, it's the staff. All the not-so-intelligent people believe it instantly and think "I guess this is for greater good... And I guess I'll have to live with it.". On the other hand, the somewhat-intelligent-people-who-liked-the-sandbox have come here to argue about whether this decision was correct. I don't see a flaw there.

As Brad said, they don't think that way. They still don't think that way. All they do is agree.

This is not righteous. This is Jagex.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2008, 7:18 am 
Mithril Member

Location: You seriously haven't looked up lately, have you? us
RS Name: Mitharmor7
The Sanbox. Goodbye and may it rest in peace. Or burn in hell, as the case may be.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2008, 2:11 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Tim2
RS Status: Retired
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
I sort of liked the Sandbox but it was really just something for me to look at and possible get a laugh out of it. SOme things where funny and some, i wish i didn't see.
Vervada wrote:
The Sanbox. Goodbye and may it rest in peace. Or burn in hell, as the case may be.

Thats what i think of the Sandbox now.

/ August '15 (Fishing) \

/ Skiller of the Year Wins - 2009 | 2015 \
/ Informer Runescape Writer from 01/27/09 to 9/27/12 | 80th Dragon Member | RSBandB donator \
/Global Moderator April 1st, 2015 - April 1st, 2015\
/ 842 to 99 Dungeoneering & First RSBandBer to 99 Dungeoneering \

PostPosted: August 18th, 2008, 5:53 pm 
Mithril Member

RS Name: joekid67
well, goodbye sandbox.... just listen to the linkin park song leave the rest behind and think of the sandbox.... its a very good song for it

PostPosted: August 18th, 2008, 9:10 pm 
Adamantite Member

Location: in a planet consisting mainly of water orbiting around a huge nuclear furnace... us
RS Name: ret steel
Clan Name: why would i want one of those.
you know, I never really liked it =p!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Forum Index » RSBandB » RuneScape Bits & Bytes Site » The Sandbox Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6 [ 83 posts ]