Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Entertainer Rank Competition
PostPosted: March 11th, 2010, 6:58 pm 
Mithril Member

RS Name: Sxe Koil
RS Status: Classic
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
I wouldn't say I'm funny,

But I can make someone crack up

Did you gain any cracks?

Still have 2?

Ok

Retired.....playing other MMOs and StarCraft 2....ehhh, TeamFortress 2 once in a blue moon.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: March 11th, 2010, 6:58 pm 
Mithril Member

PostPosted: March 11th, 2010, 11:35 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Parselmouth
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: DGS
My entry:

Spoiler for Kinda Big:

Because of trolls' attitude I usually don't respond to their sophistries, but this time I'll make an exception. What follows is the story of how trolls can be so rich in the rhetoric of democracy and yet so poor in their implementation. Trolls deny that they have been destroying our moral fiber. Their denials clearly contradict reports from eyewitnesses who saw them turning vagabonds loose against us good citizens.What kind of loser wants to break up society's solidarity and cohesiveness? Losers like trolls. It seems that no one else is telling you that trolls support a range of policies and programs that haven't worked, that don't work, and that can't be made to work in the real world—not without creating problems worse than what they were intended to solve, that is. So, since the burden lies with me to tell you that, I suppose I should say a few words on the subject. To begin with, trolls recently stated that "metanarratives" are the root of tyranny, lawlessness, overpopulation, racial hatred, world hunger, disease, and rank stupidity. They said that with a straight face, without even cracking a smile or suppressing a giggle. That's scary because if you think that their artifices are our final line of defense against tyrrany then you're suffering from very serious nearsightedness. You're focusing too much on what trolls want you to see and failing to observe many other things of much greater importance such as that I'm not a psychotic person. I'd like nothing more than to extend my hand in friendship to troll worshippers and convey my hope that in the days to come we can work together to illustrate the virtues that trolls lack—courage, truthfulness, courtesy, honesty, diligence, chivalry, loyalty, and industry. Unfortunately, knowing them, they'd rather boss others around because that's what trolls want. Trolls are trying hard to convince a substantial number of lousy, disdainful gadflies to needle and wheedle virulent, rude bums into its peuplade. They presumably believe that the "hundredth-monkey phenomenon" will spontaneously incite uncompromising heretics to behave likewise. The reality, however, is that it has long been obvious to attentive observers that unpleasant masters of deceit often prove their point by relying on untenable conjecture and unverifiable hearsay. But did you know that different people often see the same subject in different lights? They don't want you to know that because all they really want is to hang onto the perks they are getting from the system. That's all they really care about. On a closing note, I hope that this letter, while incomplete, informal, and having no authority except its own inner strength and conviction, has clearly demonstrated to you that trolls' suggestions are founded on bald-faced lies.

Hope you find some humor in it.
Enjoy.

RSN: Parselmouth | Jaysawn on ********

PostPosted: March 13th, 2010, 8:36 pm 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: totojimbob
RS Status: F2P
Clan Name: Dragon Clan Runescape (DCRS)
This is great. Quite great. I for a long time have been thinking about sending in some of my stuff that I create to the informer to see if they would publish it for the almighty 'lulz'. Now, I don't have to. In school and specifically my English classes, students anticipate my work on creative assignments. The teacher specifically mentions her inability to wait for me to read my works aloud in class. This is what I observe; I'm not trying to be arrogant. I have long fulfilled the role of 'entertainer' (though without an official title) in the schoolroom, and I feel that I can spread my abilities to the forum of b'n'b. I love to write short pieces of literature, and I attempt as a main focus to make them entertaining.

While I could continue on boasting about myself (which unfortunately must have been done, as is the nature of an application), I feel that the best thing that can be done to prove myself is for you to decide by reading some of my stuff. I recently submitted "The Man Quiz" to the forum to serve as my application. It can be found at http://forums.rsbandb.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=78506.

I also less recently submitted a short (somewhat obviously?) fictitious story of 'my life.' It can be found at http://forums.rsbandb.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=78060

MERGED

nikeballa435 wrote:
My entry:

Spoiler for Kinda Big:

Because of trolls' attitude I usually don't respond to their sophistries, but this time I'll make an exception. What follows is the story of how trolls can be so rich in the rhetoric of democracy and yet so poor in their implementation. Trolls deny that they have been destroying our moral fiber. Their denials clearly contradict reports from eyewitnesses who saw them turning vagabonds loose against us good citizens.What kind of loser wants to break up society's solidarity and cohesiveness? Losers like trolls. It seems that no one else is telling you that trolls support a range of policies and programs that haven't worked, that don't work, and that can't be made to work in the real world—not without creating problems worse than what they were intended to solve, that is. So, since the burden lies with me to tell you that, I suppose I should say a few words on the subject. To begin with, trolls recently stated that "metanarratives" are the root of tyranny, lawlessness, overpopulation, racial hatred, world hunger, disease, and rank stupidity. They said that with a straight face, without even cracking a smile or suppressing a giggle. That's scary because if you think that their artifices are our final line of defense against tyrrany then you're suffering from very serious nearsightedness. You're focusing too much on what trolls want you to see and failing to observe many other things of much greater importance such as that I'm not a psychotic person. I'd like nothing more than to extend my hand in friendship to troll worshippers and convey my hope that in the days to come we can work together to illustrate the virtues that trolls lack—courage, truthfulness, courtesy, honesty, diligence, chivalry, loyalty, and industry. Unfortunately, knowing them, they'd rather boss others around because that's what trolls want. Trolls are trying hard to convince a substantial number of lousy, disdainful gadflies to needle and wheedle virulent, rude bums into its peuplade. They presumably believe that the "hundredth-monkey phenomenon" will spontaneously incite uncompromising heretics to behave likewise. The reality, however, is that it has long been obvious to attentive observers that unpleasant masters of deceit often prove their point by relying on untenable conjecture and unverifiable hearsay. But did you know that different people often see the same subject in different lights? They don't want you to know that because all they really want is to hang onto the perks they are getting from the system. That's all they really care about. On a closing note, I hope that this letter, while incomplete, informal, and having no authority except its own inner strength and conviction, has clearly demonstrated to you that trolls' suggestions are founded on bald-faced lies.

Hope you find some humor in it.
Enjoy.

First off, I would like to suggest that you make use of the 'enter->enter' combination. It's enough text to invoke the classic troll response of "China called; they want their wall back." It's just quite intimidating to read such massive chunks of text, especially on a forum, without paragraph breaks. Because of the aforementioned reasons, I found it mildly difficult to concentrate on the writing itself.

Also, your prose seemed a bit forced at times. It was a incredibly dramatic, which is not necessarily positive, especially when dealing with a topic such as (from what I could tell) forum trolls.

Word choices such as "untenable conjecture and unverifiable hearsay" seemed plunked into the letter. But then again, maybe it was just your wall of text that made everything appear unrecognizably choppy.

Sorry if it sounds that I'm hating on your writing, but I'm just trying to give a few tips. Take what you want, ignore the rest. I'm no grandmaster of the English language, and I'm not trying to troll away at your writing. Anyways, that's really all that I have to say.

Last edited by Pfkninenines on March 13th, 2010, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merged

PostPosted: March 13th, 2010, 8:59 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Parselmouth
Clan Name: DGS
-_+ totojimbob +_- wrote:
First off, I would like to suggest that you make use of the 'enter->enter' combination. It's enough text to invoke the classic troll response of "China called; they want their wall back." It's just quite intimidating to read such massive chunks of text, especially on a forum, without paragraph breaks. Because of the aforementioned reasons, I found it mildly difficult to concentrate on the writing itself.

Also, your prose seemed a bit forced at times. It was a incredibly dramatic, which is not necessarily positive, especially when dealing with a topic such as (from what I could tell) forum trolls.

Word choices such as "untenable conjecture and unverifiable hearsay" seemed plunked into the letter. But then again, maybe it was just your wall of text that made everything appear unrecognizably choppy.

Sorry if it sounds that I'm hating on your writing, but I'm just trying to give a few tips. Take what you want, ignore the rest. I'm no grandmaster of the English language, and I'm not trying to troll away at your writing. Anyways, that's really all that I have to say.

No hate taken. This "style" of writing is one that me and my friends at school like to use and so it is more of an inside joke that makes if funny to us. This topic was posted so I thought I would see what others thought. Thanks for your thoughts.

RSN: Parselmouth | Jaysawn on ********

PostPosted: March 14th, 2010, 10:50 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: totojimbob
RS Status: F2P
Clan Name: Dragon Clan Runescape (DCRS)
nikeballa435 wrote:
No hate taken. This "style" of writing is one that me and my friends at school like to use and so it is more of an inside joke that makes if funny to us. This topic was posted so I thought I would see what others thought. Thanks for your thoughts.

Oh haha, it makes a lot more sense now that your exuberant word choices are tongue-in-cheek :p

PostPosted: March 14th, 2010, 10:57 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: itally4life
Sounds interesting, i personally wont be submitting anything for this but it seems like a good idea overall.

Cooper wrote:
mining? all people do is powermine anyway, no money in it. with the exception of italy4lyfe (italy4nolifemining)

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: March 14th, 2010, 10:57 am 
Runite Member

PostPosted: March 15th, 2010, 6:36 pm 
Mithril Member

RS Name: Sxe Koil
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
Wyh do we have thid rank?

Retired.....playing other MMOs and StarCraft 2....ehhh, TeamFortress 2 once in a blue moon.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2010, 7:36 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Marco995
Clan Name: Primal Legacy
Time to pull out the pen and paper and go old school.
Expect a stick figure fight drawn up and scanned into the computer in the next week. =D

PostPosted: March 16th, 2010, 12:32 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Kill Kenny97
Ok here I go with my entry:

Last edited by Kenny on March 16th, 2010, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2010, 12:39 pm 
Dragon Member

One question: Who's going to select the winner? The community or the staff?
I don't think it would be fair to have the staff choosing it. Something that's funny for some might not be funny for others and the staff is much smaller than a whole community.

Tip: No this is not my entry.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2010, 3:03 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Southrend
Alex_SE wrote:
One question: Who's going to select the winner? The community or the staff?
I don't think it would be fair to have the staff choosing it. Something that's funny for some might not be funny for others and the staff is much smaller than a whole community.

Tip: No this is not my entry.

Southrend wrote:
You will have till the 23rd to submit your application in this topic, after that we will let the community decide who will get this new rank.

So community decides who will win :)

Proud RSB&B Member #570 since 12/27/04
Proud RSB&B Mod since 7/24/05

PostPosted: March 16th, 2010, 5:02 pm 
Dragon Member

Oops sorry. I skipped that part. Haven't slept much today so my eyes are no good :( .

PostPosted: March 17th, 2010, 8:13 pm 
Steel Member

Yeah it's kind f confusing on what excatly
we are supposed to do.…

PostPosted: March 17th, 2010, 10:53 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: d4fin0
Clan Name: blurblue
you would post it in the new topic area that's created for the "entertainer rank".

I'm not sure if i'll go for it. On the other hand, i would like to be ranked. :P.

Cheers, daifn0 :lol:

PostPosted: March 18th, 2010, 7:28 pm 
Steel Member

RS Name: Des_Zac
Clan Name: Sara Flrs
Does it have to be a story or can it be a joke? Also does it have to be for a certain age group because I dont want to post something inapropriate.

Thanks, Des_Zac

THE ORIGINAL DES