Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: What is this and how do i fix it?
PostPosted: September 13th, 2009, 11:32 am 
Mithril Member

RS Name: CHRiiS513
RS Status: P2P

What is this and how do i fix it?

i ran a system check using Norton and nothing came up.. help please

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: September 13th, 2009, 11:32 am 
Mithril Member

Post subject: Re: What is this and how do i fix it?
PostPosted: September 13th, 2009, 11:42 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Sworder24
It is telling you that you need to run a "Check Disk" or Chkdsk.

In order to do this, you have to schedule it to check after a reboot.

Spoiler for Using Command Prompt:

Microsoft wrote:

Manual steps to run Chkdsk at the command prompt

1. Click Start, and then Run.
2. In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
3. Use one of the following procedures:
* To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, at the command prompt, type chkdsk, and then press ENTER.
* To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/f, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.
* To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/r, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Spoiler for Using My Computer:

Microsoft wrote:

Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Use one of the following procedures:

* To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
* To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start.
* To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.

The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?

Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

All found at THIS link.

ImageImage

Post subject: Re: What is this and how do i fix it?
PostPosted: September 13th, 2009, 1:38 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
Follow Sworder's advice, and you should be fine. If it starts happening more often, you might have a bad HDD. Usually when something like that shows up, the HDD is beginning to fail, so you're going to want to replace it before it fails completely.

It could have been caused by a recent forced shutdown or power outage that caused the disk to have an interrupted disk write.