Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: What makes a good game?
PostPosted: April 18th, 2007, 11:53 am 
Dragon Member

RS Status: Classic
We all play (or did play) RuneScape. It is clearly a good game from most of our perspectives, at least in some ways. But what really makes a good game?

Obviously there are various categories for ranking how good games are;

Experience (Graphics/Sound)
Storyline (if any)
Challenge
General Gameplay
Addictiveness

Which of these do you think is the most important, if any of them? What do you think really makes a good game?

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: April 18th, 2007, 11:53 am 
Dragon Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 18th, 2007, 12:04 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Punisher1288
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: The Cookie Armada
I think game length makes a good game. Look at Fable, a really awesome game but it really short. Look at runescape, they have been able to take a simple game and make it playable for 5+ years...

*Member #514*
*Rsbandb Donor*

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 18th, 2007, 12:18 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Gzpro
Kyle wrote:
I think game length makes a good game. Look at Fable, a really awesome game but it really short. Look at runescape, they have been able to take a simple game and make it playable for 5+ years...

Yeah look at World of Warcraft like 8 million paying $15 a month

Post subject: Re: What makes a good game?
PostPosted: April 18th, 2007, 2:03 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Terrorwraith
Clan Name: sʇsılɐuoıʇɐu-ɐɹʇln uɐıssnɹ
Matthew wrote:
General Gameplay

Definitely general gameplay. Why do we even play games?

Is it because of the graphics? No, if the graphics are incredible but the gameplay is abysmal, then the game would NOT be fun at all.

Is it because of the storyline? Eragon (The game) may have a solid storyline, but it has terrible gameplay, which lowers its rating dramatically

Is it challenge? If a game is hard, newbs won't play it. o.O

Is it addictiveness? I'm sure people won't want to spend their life on a game...

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 18th, 2007, 2:14 pm 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
Gameplay and the story. Look at the halo series, without the story line it's just another FPS tbh, the story in Halo is epic, it makes you want to play.

Same goes for Prince of Persia, the whole fairy tale story line just makes you want to go on, play the sequels and find out what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 18th, 2007, 2:21 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
RS Status: F2P
I think game play and length of game makes a game I want. If I had the choice between a game I would play for about 20 hours and one I would play for about 100 hours and they were both $60, I would choose the 100 hour one unless the game play was crap. Graphics really don't mean much to me, I still play pixelized games.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: April 18th, 2007, 2:21 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 19th, 2007, 12:28 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Mistymaple
Clan Name: Cult: The Order Of Cabbage
Constant updates are essential for things like RuneScape in order to kep older player interested.
Free will - I hate games where you have to do this one thing, then move and to do another, and have to keep going in one line. In RuneScape, you can do whatever you want.
Suitable for all types of people too. It has to keep 9 year olds and 30 year olds entertained, as well as males and females.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 19th, 2007, 11:43 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Sky Jace
I agree with gameplay. For all the MMO's I play, I usually only keep the ones that have some unique twist to the way you play the game. For instance, I play Rakion because it has a unique PvP gameplay system. I play Flyff because of the flying that it allows you to do in game. I play Space Cowboy because it's also a different flying/shooting MMO. Other games that I've tried, such as Knight Online and Hero Online, all basically have the same way of playing the game, and I quickly got turned away from them due to that aspect.

Dragon Member #90

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 19th, 2007, 2:08 pm 
Runite Member

I say rare items, if their are very expensive and hard-to-get items in a game people will try and get it, but if everything was easily obtainable you would get bored very fast. Either that or general gameplay, and if it's online then the online community that you play with has a large role in it.

#100 | #211

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 19th, 2007, 2:22 pm 
Dragon Member

Defiantly the gameplay and the variety so there is something that will keep me occupied while playing just like in WoW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 19th, 2007, 4:29 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Sparty Pants
I'd say addictiveness and gameplay, a game doesn't need graphics or a storyline to be good.

Take Doom for example. The graphics sucked and there was no storyline but it was still fun to play.

Many internet games like Copter and Curveball are fun to play, neither having good graphics or a storyline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 19th, 2007, 5:10 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Yojimbo238
Clan Name: None
RuneScape lacks EVERYTHING a good game should have except addictiveness.. And really hot babes

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2007, 5:28 am 
BANNED

RS Name: Badass San
Clan Name: Ex-Rune Raiders
What makes a good game?

There's no real answer. It all lies on the perspective of one's view. Some like graphics, some like gameplay, some like the storylines...

For me it's basically:

-Gameplay.
Good gameplay doesn't mean complex controls, with many features. Look at the first Final Fantasy for the NES. It only needs two buttons, with simple functions. A for Accept, B for Cancel. That's it. Yet the game is so great it saved Square from bankruptcy.

-Tricky situations.
Ever got stuck in a videogame, because you don't know what to do next? You probably wouldn't have that happening in the new games nowadays, because what you needed to do is like laid out for you. Back then you had to sit down and think what to do to get to the next part of the game. Come on, how many of you got stuck at the last few parts of Final Fantasy because you didn't know you had to use the LARP from the first part to open the gate to the final part?

-Good ol' cliffhangers.
Gets us want to know more. So we buy sequels. So the company gets more money. We get happy, so do them.

-Storylines.
No way man, I don't like the old "Save the world" storyline. What I like is a storyline with suspense that gets you thrilled and want to go on the game to know what will happen. It sorta gets you addicted. Not really needed, but with the new games out, we need more originality rather than "A town is infested with zombies, kill them all and come back alive" Resident Evil games.

-Graphics.
Only to a certain extent. I don't like 8 bit graphics much, but I appreciate any game with decent pixels or 16 bit graphics. As long as I know what the hell I am. How many of you were confused to what are you when you played the Atari or Commodore 64? Do you even know what they are?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2007, 8:59 am 
Dragon Member

Gameplay ofcourse.
Storyline - I just need a good story. For instance I beat KOTOR 2-3 times because it was fun and it had alternate endings.

I'd just like to say one thing, because it irritates the **** out of me. I'm sick and tired of you people deciding what's best for everyone else without asking or discussing it first. The sandbox was very rarely used by moderators, site owners and admins, it was used by the regular member to have "fun". Flame baiting, spamming or whatever, I think it would have been only fair to ask what everyone else thought first. Regardless of the outcome, it would have been a lot less selfish (because removing it like this is) and would have gotten a much better response.